Friday, January 25, 2013

Icy patches


Being a keen runner, running has always been a great analogy for my faith journey. It teaches so much about endurance and perseverance, about pushing on and not giving up.

The apostle Paul spoke about "running a good race" and "obtaining the prize", but I wonder how much he knew about running on snow and ice?

Today much of the snow had melted and frozen over again, making the paths and pavements treacherous in parts.
I decided to drive to the nearby woods in the hope that the paths may be less well trodden there. Much of the paths were compacted snow, which was fairly easy to run on. But then there were parts of deep snow, stretches of ice and the occasional patch of bare tarmac.

It took much care and concentration to run in those conditions. Depending on the condition of the ground I had to constantly adjust my speed and my stride.

It got me thinking that my faith journey is really like that. Just as I was able to adjust to the road conditions, I should be more sensitive and adjust to my home situation when it comes to moving on in my faith journey. Sometimes I can run steadily, sometimes even sprint at great speed. But at other times I have to slow right down, perhaps even stop or find a different route altogether. Sometimes I am at risk of slipping and falling.

So it seems not so much about winning the race, but to persevere in it; to reach the goal, no matter how hard it seems.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us. (Hebrews 12:1) 

I don't know about winning the race, but I am hoping to finish it and obtain the prize. One day I want to be able to say "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."
(2 Timothy 4:7)




So far I am slip-sliding along quite nicely ...

1 comment:

  1. Good morning to you!
    Thanks for visiting the SIBOL BLOG!
    Our Marie Carie Cancer Care Challenge will be running long term. I am trying to get in enough squares for 9 Blankets. It will take me awhile. So there's no desperate hurry if you know what I mean. But of course the sooner they come in the sooner I can work on them!
    Thank you
    Sue
    sueatpigsty@talktalk.net
    www.sunshineinternationalblanketsoflove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete